Friday, January 1, 2010

New Plan for a New Year

I am so excited to have my training blog up and running for 2010! I'm excited to see how this training blog morphs throughout the year, but for now I plan to include information on my training progress and my nutrition. I've officially made the switch to paleo and I need to be accountable for it somewhere.

I made it into the box for the 4:30. Worked on finding my back squat max with Mandie, which turned out to be 135lbs. 135!? I'm sure that I've done at least 165 in the past, but apparently without perfect form and depth. Since 135 was all I could do with said form and depth, I'm going to go with it for now. It's something to work from and now that I have my fancy weight load spreadsheet I'll be able to monitor my progress. At least I know that when I do get back up to 165, it will be a legit back squat!

Also did the 5k row yesterday as I missed it on Wednesday, and I've been wanting to establish some rowing baselines. I kept my pace at 2:teens for most of the first 4000m. I thought this would allow me to finish around 21:something...sadly, my math was off. I would have had to row the last 500m in less than 1:30 to get under 22 minutes...grrrr. I sprinted the last 500m around 2:02-2:05, so I was happy about that. I didn't feel like I had any gas left in the tank at the end. Also happy about that. Finished at 22:34.

Lastly, worked on some ring dips, box jumps and had Mandie introduce me to butterfly pull ups. I think I'm going to work on these with a PVC for a while before I move to the actual pull up bar. This is going to be a really tough movement for me as my upper body strength is not where it should be, but I'm determined to get them, mainly because they look so much more bad ass than my current kipping version. Obviously my main training goal is one of performance and strength, but I don't think that vanity is an entirely evil motivator. So yeah, butterfly PUs would be awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blog side of training Jess! Time to start compiling the suck list and zeroing in for additional skill/strength work. Get with one of the coaches that either you tend to work with the most that knows your weaknesses or one that you feel you learn from best and get a plan down on how to get you where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete